Following is an unofficial translation of the press release of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
1. Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, State Counsellor of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar arrived back Nay Pyi Taw in the afternoon of 13September, 2018(Thursday) after attending the 27th World Economic Forum on ASEAN held in Hanoi, Viet Nam from 11to13 September 2018.
2. State Counsellor attended the Opening Session of the 27th World Economic Forum on ASEAN held at the Plenary Hall, National Convention Center on 12 September 2018, and participated in the discussion on “ASEAN priorities in the age of the Fourth Industrial Revolution”, together with Mr. Nguyen Phu Trong, the General Secretary of the Communist Party of Viet Nam, Mr. Nguyen Xuan Phuc, Prime Minister of Viet Nam, Heads of State/Heads of Government from ASEAN Member States, business leaders and entrepreneurs.
3. At the Opening Plenary, Professor Klaus Schwab, Executive Chairman, World Economic Forum delivered the opening remarks and Mr. Fabrizio Hochschild, Assistant Secretary-General for Strategic Coordination, United Nations read out the message, sent by Mr. Antonio Guterres, Secretary General of the United Nations. Afterwards, H.E. Mr. Nguyen Xuan Phuc, Prime Minister of Viet Nam, H.E. Mr. Lee Hsien Loong, Prime Minister of Singapore and current chair of ASEAN,H.E. Mr. Hu Chunhua, Vice Premier of People’s Republic of China and special guest delivered their remarks respectively. Subsequently, H.E. Mr. Joko Widodo, President of Indonesia, H.E. Mr. Samdech Techo Hun Sen,Prime Minister of Cambodia, H.E. Mr. Thongloun Sisoulith, Prime Minister of Laos,Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, State Counsellor of Myanmar and H.E. Prajin Juntong, Deputy Prime Minister of Thailand made their remarks on ASEAN priorities in the Era of the Fourth Industrial Revolution,
4. Afterwards, State Counsellor Daw Aung San Suu Kyi attended the lunch hosted by Mr. Klaus Schwab, Founder of World Economic Forum at the National Convention Center. In the afternoon, State Counsellor received Mr. Taro Kono, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan at Daewoo Hotel and exchangedviews on promoting bilateral relationsand cooperation between Myanmar and Japan, matters relating to the forthcoming Japan-Mekong Summit, extending constructive support toMyanmar’s government efforts in resolving the situation in Rakhine Stateand further strengthening cooperation between Myanmar and Japan in the international fora including the United Nations.
5. In the afternoon, the State Counsellor, together with Heads of State/ Heads of Government from other (4) Mekong countries attended the Plenary Session entitled “A New Vision for Mekong Region”, held at the National Convention Center and exchanged viewsonenhancing cooperation in the Mekong Region.
6. Afterwards, State Counsellor attended the Gala Dinner and Cultural Soirée, hosted by Viet Nam Prime Minister and spouse at the Banquet Hall, National Convention Center.
7. In the morning of 13 September 2018, State Counsellor participated in the Interactive Panel entitled “A Conversation with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, State Counsellor of Myanmar” held at thePlenary Hall, National Convention Center. During the Panel, State Counsellor responded to the questions raised by Mr. Borge Brende, President of World Economic Forum on the issues of Myanmar’s democratic transition, Peace Process and National Reconciliation, the situation in Rakhine State, Foreign Direct Investment in Myanmar. Then,State Counsellor met with Mr. Klaus Schwab, Founder and Chief Executive Officer of World Economic Forum at the Chairman’s Office, National Convention Center.
8. Afterwards, State Counsellor met with H.E. Tran Dai Quang, President of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam and at Presidental Palace and exchanged the views on enhancing relations and cooperation between Myanmar and Vietnam, promoting trade and investment, establishing sister cities, increasing people–to-people exchanges, Viet Nam’s support to Myanmar’s peace and national reconciliation efforts, exchangeof bilateral visits of Heads of States between the two countries.
9. In the afternoon of 13 September 2018, State Counsellor left Hanoi to Nay Pyi Taw by special aircraft and arrived back Nay Pyi Taw.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs